[Samba] Problems attaching new XP box to samba domain esp. with Roaming Profiles

Nick Hall nhallj at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:14:14 GMT 2006

OK....

I don't know if these two are connected but they feel like they may be....

I've just installed a new machine XP (SP2 -prob b) machine on an OEM
disk. It seems to be unable to join my Samba controlled domain
properly.

The Samba version is 3.0.7 - yes I know it's old but I don't want to
upgrade unless I have to since there appear to be a number of
dependencies to upgrade as well (crypt stuff etc).

My problems appear to be:

I create the machine account (and unix account), no probs - smbpasswd
looks normal. I then tell the XP machine to join the domain, the
LANMAN password is set to just XXXXXX (32 of them I think). The NT
password hash to set to something else.

I can then log onto the XP machine as a domain account, if it's a new
account on log on it creates the profile direction in the users home
directory (yes, I know I should have a separate share but this was an
early decision), it also maps the users home directory happily. On log
off the windows box appears to close the network connection and then
think about trying to save the settings. However nothing gets written
to the profile directory

When I join the domain the domain I get the following error in the log.[machine]
[2006/11/02 09:23:17, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr.c:api_samr_set_userinfo(786)
api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO.

Any ideas because this is really bugging me.... I'm sure it's
something about the new machine as I have a number of other XP
machines (and 2K) all working fine without any problems... I just
created their accounts a while ago, joined the domain and they were
fine...

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Nick