[Samba] winbind + consistent uid & gid

Adams Samuel D Contr AFRL/HEDR Samuel.Adams.ctr at brooks.af.mil
Wed May 24 15:48:00 GMT 2006

I am trying to get out Linux boxes to authenticate against our AD domain.
We have that part working just fine using Kerberos and winbind.  The problem
is when we use NFS on multiple machines.  As you could guess, the UIDs and
GIDs are not consistent across all of the machines.  From what I have been
reading on the internet, this seems to be common problem, but all the
solutions that I have found don't seem to work for me.  Putting "idmap
backend = idmap_rid:DOMNAME=1000-1000000" in the smb.conf file seemed
promising, but it didn't work for me.  Do you have any recommendations to
get this to work?  It is kind of critical to have a distributed file system.
It is not an option to modify out AD severs.

Sam Adams

General Dynamics - Network Systems

Phone: 210.536.5945