[Samba] Samba & Windows 2003 AD

Veronica Hill veronica.hill at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 23 10:19:41 GMT 2006

Firstly, winbind is going to be your best friend with AD, so yes set it
up.  idmap_rid is particularly easy for companies with many sites that
need consistent UID & GID mapping. (think centralized backups using
rsync and you'll get the idea)

Secondly the Domain Users Group doesn't fully exist in any practical
way under Samba......
Do:
getent group | grep domain\ users

I think you'll see why......  This is a weird one that the Samba guys
haven't coded for yet (from what I remember).  The domain users group
is "special" as in Microsoft special.  I create shares that have access
to a specific group of users, because the DU group is unusable ( I
don't think that's FUD.... ).  If I want access to be given to a large
group of users then I create a group specifically for that site / area
and add all users that are at that site / area into that group.

Bye, Veronica.