[Samba] Can one set limits on new core dump?

James Peach jpeach at sgi.com
Mon May 15 02:38:12 GMT 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006 12:16 am, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> James,
>
> This was your change right ?

Yup. It's deliberately not configurable so that we can always get
*something* that might help with fault diagnosis.

> Doug, I'm more interested in why winbindd is seg
> faulting in the SAMBA_3_0 tree.  Can you give me more
> details?

Agreed. Please let's get a backtrace at least:

gdb `which winbindd` /path/to/core/file
(gdb) where
(quit)

> Doug VanLeuven wrote:
> > Sorry Jeff, been there, done that, if you'd read the whole post.
> >

> > Jeff Saxton wrote:
> >> man ulimit
> >> hint: ulimit -c

This probably won't work because in fault.c we explicitly set the core
size to 16MiM (IIRC).

You should only get 1 core file per daemon unless you have some
system-specific core file naming facility enabled. If winbind is dumping
core often it should always be in LOGBASE/cores/winbindd/core.

--
James Peach | jpeach at sgi.com | SGI Australian Software Group
I don't speak for SGI.