[Samba] (Fwd) Re: permissions change from windows doesn't work

Pierre Dehaen dehaenp at drever.be
Fri May 12 13:03:25 GMT 2006

On 12 May 2006 at 10:08, Ángel Galindo Muñoz wrote:

> 	There is a WORKAROUND for the first problem: Just authenticate this
> way: If your user is "vincent", then just use the credencials
> "whateveryouwant\vincent" (with the correct password for "vincent"
> user). Then when the dialog asks again for valid credencials then give
> him again "whateveryouwant\vincent" and the corrct password. This works.

Angel... you are the man !

It works great, even on XP SP2 when I follow your trick ! It is not a Samba
bug because the problem is the same with a Windows standalone server.
IMHO it is not a bug, but well a feature to force you to buy Windows servers.

I was a bit surprised by the number of answers/comments (exactly 0) I
received when I exposed the problem years ago. Either nobody knew the
answer, either nobody wanted to answer, either nobody used standalone
servers (with ACLs). But in my case that is still used in some situations.

Thank you so much, I spent days on this problem and then surrendered.
Pierre