[Samba] printer admin deprecated: please explain

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri May 12 05:08:01 GMT 2006

Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
> I am Running a printserver using SLES9 SP3 with Samba 3.0.20b and
> cups 1.1.20
> Since the update to Samba 3.0.20 every start of a client program tells me
> WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
>
> Ok, I understood I should use
>
>  net rpc rights grant "<User or Group>" SePrintOperatorPrivilege -U ..
>
> But I haven't any adminuser to grant this rights.
>
> In my environment I put the machine into the AD by
>  kinit <UserWithPermissionsToJoinIntoTheDomain>@<DOMAIN>
>  net ads join -> joined
>
> and all permission granted by the "printer admin" option.
>
> Is there any other way to get SePrintOperator without a other strong user?
>
> regards
> Franz

How can you not have an admin user -- who do you have defined under
"printer admin"? Or were you not using this definition at all and that
is a spurious error message? If you ARE using printer admin = someone,
then you'd just grant the rights to that same user.

--
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | | Ryan Novosielski - User Support Spec. III
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _| | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.| IST/AST - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630