[Samba] poor performance - multiuser fileserver database (ms-access)

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu May 11 15:37:56 GMT 2006

Sorry, I deleted a bunch of  the original posts with a trigger happy
delete finger, so I might've missed something in the discussion.

One thing that I've found affects the performance of Windows network
browsing -- and it has nothing to do with Samba -- is stale connections
to servers and shares that no longer exist. On the workstation, check
out the following:

    * Look in "My Network Places" and remove any shortcuts that point to
      servers/shares that no longer exist
    * Delete any drive mappings to nonexistent shares
    * Look in the registry at the key
      HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints.
      Under this key will be a bunch of keys; some of them will be named
      in the form of ##server#share. DELETE any of these so-named keys
      that refer to nonexistent shares/servers.

The problem is that certain products, including Microsoft Office, Excel,
(and I guess) Access will, whenever you attempt to open a file, try to
index all of these cached network locations, even if it's not the folder
that it's ultimately trying to open up. When it runs across a cached
location that no longer exists, it will hang while waiting for a
response from the server. If the server no longer exists, you can end up
waiting several seconds to several minutes until Explorer times out in
its search for the server.

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
www.sutinen.com