[Samba] Join to ADS Type or Value Exists

Adam Katulak akatulak at talktotucker.com
Tue Mar 28 13:45:21 GMT 2006

Hello, I am new to samba and I am trying to set it up to be a member server
of my ADS Domain.  I keep getting the same error whenever I do this.  At the
point where I have logged in and type "net ads join <myOUname>" I get the
error: "libads/ldap.c:ads_join_realm(1640) ads_add_machine_acct
(my_server_name): Type or value existsads_join_realm:  Type or value
exists".  I am running Fedora Core 3 with the latest version of samba.  It
appears to say that my server has already been joined but I cannot find it
anywhere in AD.  I have synched time with my DC, and I know that I can
"talk" to AD because I can authenticate and when I do a "net ads info" I get
all the correct information regarding my ADS.  I can also query AD from my
Samba box and get a list of users and groups.  I have tried googling the
problem and found several people that experienced this same problem but have
yet to find a solution.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam Katulak