[Samba] Deleting files with Windows Explorer.

Jeffrey M. Johnson jjohnson at umn.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:20:51 GMT 2006

I  have a user (fdupont) who is attempting to use Windows Explorer to delete
a file on a samba share and is getting following errors when attempting to
delete some files.  This problem does not effect every file in the directory
and she is both the Owner and in the Proper Group.

-rw-rw-r-- 1 fdupont  iads  97792 Feb 24 16:05
shelving_stats_tmagr_200601.xls

I have the latest version of Samba installed (3.0.21c) and nothing uncommon
in our settings.

The only not so common thing is her drive mapping (like all 500 of our
users) is a symbolic link - limiting her view to just what she has
permission to see.

Jeff Johnson
Sr. Info. Tech. Prof.
Central Ops - University Libraries
Cc: Jeffrey M. Johnson
Subject: Re: Help Desk Ticket has been closed (Ticket #T001809).

Hello,

I'm am attempting to delete a directory as indicated in my previous email
(below) and, unfortunately, I am still getting errors.

***************Cannot delete shelving_stats_tmagr_200601: Access is denied.
***************Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that
***************the file is not currently in use.

I also get errors when trying to change the directory attributes:

***************An Error occurred applying attributes to the File:
***************I:\iads\da..\shelving_stats_tmagr_200601.xls