[Samba] Samba PDC with Squid NTLM_AUTH

Martin Hoffmann mhoffmann at pro-nets.de
Wed Mar 22 08:15:56 GMT 2006

Hi list,

Can somebody please enlighten me:
I have Samba PDC running and want to add Squid with ntlm_auth on the same
machine!
As far as i understand ntlm_auth needs winbind!?

So i started winbind, but "wbinfo -u" still ain't working :-) Neither is
ntlm_auth!

Do i have to change my nsswitch.conf to "search" winbind aswell? Currently
it looks this way:

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

Which received the Samba users and groups from my ldap backend! Fine!
Do i have to change it to "files winbind" - does this break some of my Samba
PDC functionality?

Searching the internet i found the hint to add the PDCs computer account to
the Domain!? Is this necessary? Isn't the PDC implicit member of the domain?

You see i don't want to break anything, so "testing" in my productive
environment is no option:-(

Regards, Martin