[Samba] Backup & Restore Samba Configuration

Lake-Wind lake-wind at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 19:58:32 GMT 2006

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Stéphane Purnelle wrote:
>>
>> Lake-Wind a écrit :
>>> The motherboard in our Samba server fried. I have re-installed
>>> our operating system (SUSE 10) and was wondering what is the
>>> best way to restore our Samba server? Can it be as simple as
>>> copying the smb.config and smbpasswd files back into the
>>> /etc/samba directory? That's what I am hoping. If I just copy
>>> the smb.config and the smbpasswd files back to the samba
>>> directory will the machine trusts, users and passwords just
>>> work? If not, what is the proper procedure for restoring.
>
> If only the mainboard fried, why didn't you just use the disk you had?

I did use the disc(s) I have. The new motherboard is an AMD 64
m/b. Old one was 32 bit. Installed 64 bit version of SUSE for
new m/b. All my etc config files were backed up (tar) to
another computer. The only partition that was formated was the
root partition. Home and all the others were left alone.

Mike