[Samba] Bizarre problems with two Samba in the same workgroup

Guillermo Dalla Vecchia hertor28 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 00:32:44 GMT 2006

I had to setup a new Samba server as a PDC in my job (Samba 3.0) to replace
and existing Samba server PDC (Samba 2.2), the old server was running ldap
as backend, the new is running tdbsam. I have a lot of bizarre problems when
I put both in the same workgroup with other machines. I will give you a list
of them:

1) The new server is configured as local master browser and domain master
browser, with this configuration the old server never appears in the network
neighborhood.

2) The servers have the same shares. If I define a new share in one of them.
the share appears in the other if I see it in network neighborhood. The
content of the shares of the new server are the same of the old one if a see
them in the network neighborhood (although they are not the same).

3) There is a share defined in the new server (documentacion) that doesn't
appear in network neighborhood (I can only connect to it from command line
with smbclient) eventhough the same share works ok in the old server.

4) If I do nmblookup -MT <Workgroup> the result are the IPs of both servers.

5) The home of my user doesn't appear in network neighborhood but other
users appear ok.

Next I will give you the content of smb.conf of both servers:

New server running Samba 3.0 (IP 192.168.5.150) in Debian Sarge 3.1

[global]

workgroup = PRUEBA
server string = Servidor2
netbios name = SERVIDOR2
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
local master = yes
os level = 200
preferred master = yes
browse list = yes
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u
logon home =
logon drive = Z:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
security = user
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password:* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password:* %n\n
*passwd:*password*updated*successfully*
log level = 3

[homes]
comment = Home del usuario %U
valid users = %S
browseable = no
writeable = yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[profiles]
comment = Perfiles de usuarios
path = /home/profiles
writeable = yes
browseable = no
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/netlogon
read only = yes
browseable = no

[documentacion]
comment =  Documentacion ISO 9001
path = /home/docs/
valid users = +users

public = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0750

[grupos]
comment =  Directorio compartido de grupos
path = /home/grupos
# ver el macro %S
valid users = +users
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0660
directory mask = 0770

[noconf]
comment =  No conformidades ISO 9001
path = /home/NoConf/
valid users = +users
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Old server running Samba 2.2 (IP 192.168.5.99) in Debian Woody

workgroup = PRUEBA
netbios name = SERVIDOR
server string = Servidor
domain admin group = " @"Domain Admins" "
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
security = user
password level = 16
username level = 16
encrypt passwords = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl -o %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
ldap server = localhost
ldap port = 389
ldap ssl = no
ldap suffix = "dc=ledefyl,dc=com"
interfaces = 192.168.5.99/24 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = yes
local master = no
os level = 65
domain master = no
preferred master = no
domain logons = no
name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
wins server = 192.168.5.150
dns proxy = no
wins proxy = yes
logon home =
logon drive = Z:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon script = startup.bat
add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -m -d /dev/null -g
computers -s /bin/false

[homes]
comment = Home del usuario %U
valid users = %S
browseable = no
writeable = yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[profiles]
comment = Perfiles de usuarios
path = /home/profiles
writeable = yes
browseable = no
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/netlogon
read only = yes
browseable = no
write list = root,"@"Domain Admins""

[grupos]
path = /home/grupos
comment =  Directorio compartido de grupos
# ver el macro %S
valid users = +users
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0660
directory mask = 0770

[documentacion]
comment =  Documentacion ISO 9001
path = /home/iso9001/docs/
valid users = +users
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0750

[noconf]
comment =  No conformidades ISO 9001
path = /home/iso9001/NoConf/
valid users = +users
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me what's wrong or point me to a
webpage, file, post in a samba list, or any source of information.

Thanks in advance