[Samba] 1 byte writes

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Mar 8 19:07:02 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 07:56:35PM +0100, Thomas Limoncelli wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the helpful response. The current (default) settings are:
>
> myserver# testparm -s -v /etc/samba/smb.conf 2>&1 | grep alloc
>         allocation roundup size = 1048576
>         strict allocate = No
>
> Given my symptoms and typical file sizes of several megabytes, are you
> suggesting to increase "allocation roundup size" by, say, a factor of
> 10? I just need an educated guess to start with before users return to
> work tomorrow morning.

Hmmm. Not sure. What application is doing this ? Your settings seem
fine - the client should be using the allocation roundup size to
extend, so should only by writing one byte per 1 meg, but it seems
to be doing much smaller offsets than that. Try playing with the
allocation roundup size parameter - make it larger and see what
effect it has on the app. What filesystem are you using underneath
Samba ?

Jeremy.