[Samba] Samba 3 by Example - chapter 5 & 6 ( Manager -> sambaadmin)

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Mar 3 07:31:02 GMT 2006

John H Terpstra wrote:

> Where were you when I asked for feedback and review?

Beats me, man.  Working on something else. :)

> When will you provide updates to the documentation that improve its real
> value?

Huh... I hadn't considered that it'd be accepted.  Specifically, because
of this note:

   Why did you not cover secure practices? Isn't it rather irresponsible
   to instruct network administrators to implement insecure solutions?
   I made the decision, right or wrong, to keep this material as simple
   as possible. The intent of this book is to demonstrate a working
   solution and not to discuss too many peripheral issues.

It really bothers me to see any reference material treat security as an
exercise for the reader.  It bothered me more because as far as I've
been able to determine, there's no reference material available which
discusses which of the samba attributes need to be hidden from public
view, and which need to be protected from writing by "self".

Now, maybe my impression of the security practices you had in mind
wasn't accurate.  If you're open to what I think would be improvements,
I could send patches to the documentation.  I presume it's in CVS
somewhere?  Let me know where to check it out.

Awww... but criticism is what I've got the most of. ;)

> Are you sure that chapter 5 does not provide clean-slate installation
> instructions that create a fully working LDAP directory that has been
> correctly populated?

Um, no.  You busted me.  I misread some of the docs, and then made an
erroneous claim.  My mistake was reinforced by the expectation that
Adrian had followed the documentation, which probably isn't the case.
If it were, then the top level entries of his directory probably
wouldn't be missing.