[Samba] Samba 3 by Example - chapter 5 & 6 ( Manager -> sambaadmin)

adrian sender adrian_au1 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 03:47:08 GMT 2006

I will try to explain my situtation a little better so other can understand.

I am sticking to the documentation, (samba 3 by example by jht) excellent
book!;

So here is where I am at;

I have configured my smb.conf; slapd.conf, ldap.conf, nssldap.conf as per
the documentation chapter 6.

I do have a bdc; however there is no relivence to that as I am only working
on the PDC at the time;

I have these commented out in the slapd.conf for the moment.

#replica     host=192.168.0.3:389
#            suffix="dc=tinistuff,dc=com"
#            binddn="cn=updateuser,dc=tinistuff,dc=com"
#            bindmethod=simple credentials=123456

#replogfile  /var/lib/ldap/replogfile

This is my smb.conf as per chapter 6;
***Note we are using "sambaadmin" and not "Manager" as in Chapter 5***

ldap admin dn = cn=sambaadmin,dc=tinistuff,dc=com

[root at node1 sbin]# smbpasswd -w 123456
Setting stored password for "cn=sambaadmin,dc=tinistuff,dc=com" in
secrets.tdb

Does this look right so far; I am now going to configure smbldaptools as per
the documentation; In chapter 5 (./configure)

Ok, now we take a look at this -
[root at node1 sbin]# cat /etc/opt/IDEALX/smbldap-tools/smbldap_bind.conf

############################
# Credential Configuration #
############################
# Notes: you can specify two differents configuration if you use a
# master ldap for writing access and a slave ldap server for reading access
# By default, we will use the same DN (so it will work for standard Samba
# release)
slaveDN="cn=sambaadmin,dc=tinistuff,dc=com"
slavePw="123456"
masterDN="cn=sambaadmin,dc=tinistuff,dc=com"
masterPw="123456"

Time to populate the ldap DB.
[root at node1 sbin]# ./smbldap-populate -a root -k 0 -m 0

This does not work because it cannot bind as "sambaadmin"

If I change my smbldap_bind to Manager, I can populate the DB.

root at node1 sbin]# cat /etc/opt/IDEALX/smbldap-tools/smbldap_bind.conf

############################
# Credential Configuration #
############################
# Notes: you can specify two differents configuration if you use a
# master ldap for writing access and a slave ldap server for reading access
# By default, we will use the same DN (so it will work for standard Samba
# release)
slaveDN="cn=Manager,dc=tinistuff,dc=com"
slavePw="123456"
masterDN="cn=Manager,dc=tinistuff,dc=com"
masterPw="123456"

Now it populates fine.

Is this a fault on my behalf, or is there something wrong with "sambaadmin"
in the config files?

PS - please forgive any spelling errors.

Kind Regards,
Adrian Sender.