[Samba] Samba newbie question

Erik Hertzel ehertzel at airlanco.com
Wed Jun 28 13:00:10 GMT 2006

All,

I am setting up a SAMBA server on a Redhat 8 Linux box.  I have gotten
it set up and can ping the server and do have SAMBA installed on the
machine.  I have gotten SWAT set up and can access the SAMBA server on a
Windows PC on the network going through SWAT.  But, I can't see the
SAMBA server yet in my Network Places.  I have set up the smb.conf file
and changed the workgroup to the right name and have set the hostname
for the SAMBA server.  I just can't see it.  I have disabled the
iptables and still can't see it.

Then, once I get that far, I am having problems getting the shares
setup.  I just need one share for a new hard drive that I set up (the
server has two hard drives, the 10 GIG is for the LINUX redhat
installations, etc...) and the 80 GIG (hdb) is for my SAMBA file
server.  How do I set the share up with the hdb so I can see it and copy
files to it from a Windows box on the same workgroup?

Thanks.

Erik