[Samba] German Umlaut issue on uNSLUnged Linksys with Samba3

Oliver Doll read.news.de.uu.net-od at od.do.uunet.de
Thu Jun 22 10:16:16 GMT 2006

[sorry for my maybe newbie Qs and using this group for my busybox
issue but though having visited some forums about this I'm getting
nuts]

I unslugged a Linksys NSLU2 device with V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta as I
plan to use it as a DC replacement for my W2k server at home. But I
already got stuck before this.

Following the unslinging I installed the Samba3 IPKGs for the NSLU
guided by the hints on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Samba.

I modified the original smb.conf [1] to [2], but as soon as I stop the
build-in smb service and start using the IPKG Samba filenames and
directories on the attached ext3 HDD containing German umlauts get
screwly displayed on my windows clients (on the NSLU command shell as
well).

I already tried a couple of codepage options, e.g. using variations of

# unix charset = CP850
# dos charset = CP850
#
# unix charset = iso8859-1
# display charset = iso8859-1
# dos charset = cp850
#
# character set = ISO8859-15
# client code page = 850

but I haven't spotted the right combination, yet.

Any hint will be appreciated.
--
tnx & cheers
Oliver

[1]:
config file=/etc/samba/smb.conf
unix charset = CP850
dos charset = CP850
os level = 8
workgroup = <WORKGROUP>
server string = Linksys NSLU2.0
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = no
max log size = 10
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=16384
SO_RCVBUF=16384
preferred master = yes
dns proxy = no
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
default case = upper
case sensitive = no
mangled names = yes
null passwords = yes
dos filetimes = yes
veto files =
/.ShareConfFile/quota.user/quota.user~/lost+found/$*/System Volume
Information/
delete veto files = False
force directory mode=771
force create mode=660
create mask=771
map system=yes
map to guest=Bad User
guest account=guest
name resolve order = wins bcast
include = /etc/samba/user_smb.conf

[2]:
# sample samba 3.0 conf file
[global]
log level = 1
# CHANGE these settings to match your network/workgroup setup
# ------------------
workgroup = <WORKGROUP>
server string = NSLU Network Drive
netbios name = Share
# your wins server ip address
wins server = <WINS SERVER>
# the networks you want to allow connections from
hosts allow = <ALLOWED HOSTS>
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
# ------------------
config file=/opt/etc/samba/smb.conf
local master = yes
username map =
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = ixp0 lo
winbind use default domain = no
unix charset = CP850
dos charset = CP850
os level = 8
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = no
max log size = 10
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /opt/etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=16384
SO_RCVBUF=16384
preferred master = no
dns proxy = no
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
default case = upper
case sensitive = no
mangled names = yes
null passwords = yes
dos filetimes = yes
veto files =
/.ShareConfFile/quota.user/quota.user~/lost+found/$*/System Volume
Information/
delete veto files = False
force directory mode=771
force create mode=660