[Samba] Stange printer driver problem

Nicki Messerschmidt, Linksystem Muenchen GmbH samba at alienn.net
Mon Jun 19 17:30:11 GMT 2006

Hi,
I have a strange problem with samba (3.0.23), cups (1.2.1), windows 2k
(all patches up2date) and the printer drivers (cups 5, cups 6).
I setup samba to share the printers configured in cups and added the
printer admin privilege to some users.
Now I can upload the printer drivers using cupsaddsmb. This works
without any problems.
Even my Windows 2k clients connect without any problems. But...
But when I try to access the settings panel of any of my printers
windows asks me to install new drivers.
The error message is (translated from the german message):
"The device settings cannot be displayed. The driver for this driver is
not installed. Only spooling preferences are displayed. Do you want to
install the driver now?"

I checked everything I know about this field (I already have about 10
similar settings all working fine (using samba 3.0.14 and cups 1.1.21).
But now I'm out of ideas on how to go on.

Does anyone out there have a hint on where to look?

Cheers
Nicki

Here my smb.conf (relevant parts):
[global]
   netbios name = amonre
   netbios aliases = sphinx sphinx2
   os level = 65
   workgroup = Link-M
   server string = Linuxserver (Samba %v)
   announce as = NT Samba Server
   announce version = 4.0
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   local master = true
   preferred master = yes
   guest account = nobody
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true

   passdb backend = tdbsam guest
   enable privileges = yes

   printing = cups
   printcap name = /etc/printcap.cups
   load printers = yes

   use sendfile = no
   lock spin time = 15
   lock spin count = 100
   oplocks = no
   level2 oplocks = no
   name resolve order = host wins bcast
   dns proxy = yes

   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   unix password sync = true
   hide files = /desktop.ini/Desktop.ini/
   csc policy = disable

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   write list = root, at lpadmin
   force create mode = 4660
   force directory mode = 4770
   force group = lpadmin

[printers]
   comment = Netzwerk Drucker
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/sambaspool
   printable = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   write list = @lpadmin, at root
   guest ok = no

- --
Linksystem Muenchen GmbH                          info at link-m.de
Schloerstrasse 10                           http://www.link-m.de
80634 Muenchen                              Tel. 089 / 890 518-0
We make the Net work.                       Fax 089 / 890 518-77
PGP Keys:                             https://www.link-m.de/pgp/