[Samba] uid/gid mapping when using AD backend

Steven Cardinal steven.cardinal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 14:00:51 GMT 2006

I would like to have multiple Samba Domain Member servers, acting as file
servers, in my Active Directory domain. I've used the Samba-3 By Example and
the Official Samba-3 reference to get my first server running,
authenticating users to my AD domain, and mapping uid/gid using idmaps
through winbind. My problem is that, when I setup a second member server,
its idmaps aren't guaranteed to be identical to the first server. I know the
books mentin using ldap backends when I'm using a samba PDC, but what about
when I'm using AD servers for my backend?

Should I force Samba to use ldap to access AD instead of winbind? Does
Services For Unix (SFU) extend my AD schema (Win2003) to support uid/gids
that can be accessed by winbind? Should I just rsync my mapping database to
my secondary servers? Any suggestions (other than replacing my AD
environment with a Samba PDC) would be appreciated.

Steve

[global]
        unix charset = LOCALE
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN