[Samba] Re: mod_ntlm_winbind

Ciro Iriarte cyruspy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 09:13:28 GMT 2006

>> Configuration
>> --------------------
>>
>> --.htaccess--
>> AuthName "NTLM Authentication thingy"
>> NTLMBasicAuth on
>> NTLMAuthHelper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp -d
>> 400"
>> NTLMBasicAuthoritative on
>> AuthType NTLM
>> require valid-user
>
> I added a Directory entry into my Apache conf file. The settings we have
> are the same except I did not use "-d 400".
>
> Check that /usr/bin/ntlm_auth exists.
It's there....
# ls -l /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 683811 2005-01-27 22:17 /usr/bin/ntlm_auth

>> Testing
>> ----------
>>
>> Well, accesing the page asks for user/password, if i give "usrjoe" +
>> "mypasswd" it gives me an 401 error code. If i enter "DOMAIN\usrjose" +
>> "mypassword", I get an 500 error code and find this in error_log:
>
> You should not have to provide DOMAIN\<username> as Samba handles the
> domain settings etc.
Ook, but if i don't use the domain, it just gives me the 401 error, and no
output ant erro_log

>> [Wed Jun 07 04:26:09 2006] [error] [client 10.129.7.146] (2)No such file
>> or
>> directory: couldn't spawn child ntlm helper process: ntlm_auth, referer:
>> http://10.129.4.50/nagios/side.html
>
> Seems to suggest a missing ntlm_auth binary file? As above, check
> that /usr/bin/ntlm_auth exists.
Checked it already

>> I hope you understand my messed explanation, and help me if you have any
>> idea about my possible mistakes, i tried many configuration variations,
>> but
>> these is the simplest one
>
> Also, aside from all of this, have you joined the domain using Samba and
> started nmbd and winbindd etc? Just things to check.
I joined the domain and i'm even using winbind to authenticate and login
(ssh)