[Samba] Samba server is listed as Unknown by Windows XP.

Liang Yang mfcking at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 17:44:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I installed a Samba server on my Linux box (IP address: 192.168.0.2), I try
to access this Samba server from Windows XP in my laptop (it belongs to AAA
domain). My laptop has two NICs and the IP address of one NIC is 192.168.0.8.
I did find this Samba server machine when I searched 192.168.0.2 from
Windows XP on my laptop. However, this Samba server is listed as "Unknown"
under the computer description tab instead of "Samba Server" (defined by the
Samba server string in my smb.conf).

When I try to open this Samba server by clicking 192.168.0.2, I was asked to
input the user name. I did create a user "bbb" with the password "bbb" on
the Samba server. However, it keeps change the user name to "AAA\bbb" and
asks me to input the password again. I tried to do network drive map
directly using the user name "bbb" and still could not make it work.

I don't know why this happen.

Here is my simple smb.conf under /usr/local/samba/lib. Smbpasswd file is
empty under /usr/local/samba/private.

Thanks a lot,

Liang

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name

   workgroup = MYGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field

   server string = Samba Server

[share1]

   path=/tmp

   browseable = yes