[Samba] LDAP, groups, win groups

listserv.traffic at sloop.net listserv.traffic at sloop.net
Thu Jul 27 04:54:11 GMT 2006

Completely stupid question here, but for some reason, I'm lost.

I have ldap and everything setup fine w/ samba 3.0.22 - running as a
PDC. (On CentOS 4.3, Openldap 2.3.24, smbldap-tools 0.92a)

No Windows domain interactions. ADS or NT PDC is not involved. (No
winbind)

I can't figure out for the life of me, what commands to use to create
a posix group and then assign ldap users to that group.

*- Let assume I have a directory called "accounting" on my data share.
*- I want to create a posix group called "grp-acct"
   (I used smbldap-groupadd -a grp-acct I assume that's right.)
*- I want to add user gregs to the posix group "grp-acct"
   I'm not sure the best way to do this. I assume the smbldap-usermod -G
   gid) where gid is the gidNumber for the group "grp-acct"

When I did that (smbldap-usermod) it doesn't appear that the user greg got added to
that group. ("id greg" doesn't show membership.)

(On that note, is there a way to query what users are members of a
particular group, rather than what groups a single user belongs to?)

As an aside, I assume that since I don't have a NT or AD domain with
their windows groups I have to worry about, I don't need to create a
"windows" group as well as a posix group and map the posix group to a
windows group. I should just be able to create posix groups, add the
local users to those groups, and then give rights to the directories I
want that group to have rights to.

Sorry for being so terribly dumb, but somehow I'm uncertain of the
commands/utilities to best manage this in when using ldap.

Recap:
What commands to setup a posix group. (smbldap-groupadd -a?)
What commands to add and remove users to/from that posix group?
(smbldap-usermod?)

TIA
-Greg