[Samba] continuous access to printer causes high memory usage

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jul 25 16:17:57 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 06:11:47PM +0200, Roel van Meer wrote:
> The hotfix that has been mentioned is this one:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329234
>
> It states that the problem is fixed with version 5.1.2600.1130 of
> Win32spl.dll and that it has been fixed in SP2, yet I see the problem with
> an XPSP2 and version 5.1.2600.2180 of win32spl.dll.
>
> I don't have any knowledge of samba internals, but it seems to me that
> repeated access to what seems to be the same set of calls should not lead
> to unlimited memory consumption. A broken client should not be able to
> break samba, should it?

No, definately not :-). I was just responding to the client spin case.

We'll look into which memory context handle isn't getting freed in
this case. If it's on a context handle then Samba hasn't *lost* the
memory, it knows where it is, it just hasn't freed up the resource
in a timely fashion.

Jeremy.