[Samba] winbindd reporting wrong sid, but only sometimes on samba 3.0.23

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Wed Jul 19 10:28:08 GMT 2006

Hi all

I have a problem that starts driving me crazy...

Win2k3 ADS, added some attributes like loginshell, gid, uid etc.

Unix clients use NSS_LDAP to get 'passwd' data and kerberos to authenticate
users. Authentication does not happen via LDAP.

winbindd is used to autocreate sid => uid/gid mappings.

This worked very fine with samba 3.0.14a.

Upgraded to samba 3.0.23

Now the owner of files show a wrong sid (causing for example that the profile
cannot be loaded).

I did a dump of all the *.tdb files. I cannot find this wrong sid anywhere on
the samba installation.

If you just take one file on the server, change the owner back to the right
file, I see in the debug output, that samba does assing the right sid => uid
(the one which is also found in the winbindd_idmap.tdb) and suddenly
everything is right, until next reboot of the client.

This happens for every user...

Any hints where I could start searching?

Strangely the 'Administrator' is not affected. Nor are Groups. Only Users.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Benoit Panizzon
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    System Services