[Samba] Open files

Jack Gostl gostl at argoscomp.com
Fri Jul 14 15:44:00 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org>
To: "Jack Gostl" <gostl at argoscomp.com>
Cc: "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org>; "Samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Samba] Open files

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 11:10:44AM -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:
>>
>> Pardon the idiot questions.
>>
>> I added "posix locking=no" (with and without spaces) to the global
>> section
>> of smb.conf and got an error from testparms.
>
> You must have added something else... (just a point, don't add the "
> characters
> around it - that was to differentiate it from the rest of the email text).
>
> Here's the definition from the source code :
>
>        {"posix locking", P_BOOL, P_LOCAL, &sDefault.bPosixLocking, NULL,
> NULL, FLAG_ADVANCED | FLAG_SHARE | FLAG_GLOBAL},
>
> So it's definately in there (a per-share parameter).
>
> Jeremy.

Bingo! That did it. Now I'm sure there is a penalty for this, like two PCs
hitting the same file at the same time, right? I'm willing to live with that
for awhile.

I have the two debug 10 level log file, but one is on 2.07 and the other is
after I put in the posix locking = no. I would think that the 2.07 might be
of some use, but I'll understand if its not.

I guess the next step is to get 3.0.23 to compile on my AIX 5.3 test box,
and run the debug 10 again but without the posix lock = no.