[Samba] corrupt files on samba server

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jul 10 17:15:59 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 03:29:20PM +0200, staublunge at ichkommnichmehrklar.de wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got a strange problem on the samba servers here at my
> workingplace. The problem is that we have some files on these machines
> which seem to be corrupt. Mostly the corrupt files are images, excel
> cheets and sometimes Word documents. We have no idea why these files
> become corrupt. We have tested some things:
> We copied a whole folder to the samba server. The result was that some
> of the files inside are corrupt now on the server. In the next step we
> copied not the whole folder, but one or two specific files from this
> folder to the samba server. The result was: The files wasn't corrupt.
> We have no idea why.
> The real problem is, that we got know more and more users who tell us
> that some of there files are corrupt. We don't know what we should
> tell them, we don't know if the problem is on our side or on user side

Can you define corrupt?  If you copy your folder to the server, then copy back from the server to the workstation, do you still have problems with those files?  Does the file size change? (are they receiving more or fewer bytes?),, did you try to compare MD5 Sums?

If the files really are becomming corrupt somehow, did you check Dmesg on your server to make sure you aren't having serious hardware problems on that end?