[Samba] Newbie: Directory Not Accessible

linux at 1067wwtl.com linux at 1067wwtl.com
Tue Jan 31 23:19:33 GMT 2006

I am a newbie to samba. I have successfully setup a similar samba share on 1 machine in the past.

I have everything setup as User access with the pcguest as a guest account. If I create a share to
the /tmp, network users can access normally. I created a directory /var/snd and set permissions to
be rwxrwxrwx. I changed the smb.conf so that permission were identical to the share for /tmp. I
restarted samba. But, Windows XP network users cannot access this public share (while they can
still hit the share to /tmp). Both shares are visible on the network.

This has got to be obvious to others, but I don't get it. It has to be a security setting. I can
post the smb.conf here, but it is so basic, that it would probably be meaningless.