[Samba] samba3 to samba3 domain membership failing

ahall at madasafish.com ahall at madasafish.com
Sat Jan 28 19:41:45 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm attempting to make a Samba 3.0.10 fileserver become a domain member of a
Samba 3.0.7 server which is running as a PDC.

I'm using the instructions gained from here...

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.html#id2538809

...but when running the command...

net rpc join -S PDCNAME -UAdministrator%password

I get the error...

Create of workstation account failed
Unable to join domain PDCNAME.

(of course PDCNAME has been substituted with the NetBIOS name of the Samba PDC)

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I would attempt to create the machine
account on the PDC manually, but the Samba 3.0.10 server is a fileserver which
doesn't actually have a NetBIOS name.

Thanks very much, Andrew Hall.

---- - Message sent via Madasafish Webmail - http://www.madasafish.com/ Up to 8Mb Broadband now from just £11.99 a month