[Samba] performance problem. big amount of net traffic for file properties

Jean-Philippe FARCY jfarcy at sigma.fr
Fri Jan 27 11:06:35 GMT 2006

Hi,

We're having performance problems with some workstations (XP workstations).

The problem we diagnosed occurs when a user right clicks on a UNC link (on his
desktop). The popup window only appears after 80 seconds. On another XP
workstation (in the same room, same switch ...), it works OK.

We have dumped the network traffic from both these workstations, and the
result is that from the buggy workstation, the amount of traffic is around
30Mb,  with the same QUERY_FILE_INFO sent thousands of times (subcommand
0x0007).

This problem is having a big impact on our performance. Is it a known issue ?
(We can provide the dumps)

 Thanks a lot.

Jean-Philippe FARCY, Administrateur Système
SIGMA Informatique http://www.sigma.fr