[Samba] create smbpasswd/tdbsam from ldapsam/LDAP query?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jan 23 16:08:25 GMT 2006

As some of you may know, I'm trying to set up Samba BDC on a disk- and fan-less tiny mipsel_CPU router running OpenWRT distribution.

I already managed to compile Samba 3.0.21a and OpenLDAP 2.3.18 for it, and they seem to work fine.

The problem is, this tiny distribution for routers doesn't seem to have anything like Name Service Switch (NSS), and relies solely on /etc/passwd
and /etc/group.

In other words, Samba will be unable to get users from LDAP.

I thought that perhaps a workaround would be to fetch all needed info from the LDAP, and create proper /etc/passwd and smbpasswd files (or tdbsam
perhaps).

Is it possible to do so?

Or perhaps there are some tools for converting ldapsam to tdbsam?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
htp://wpkg.org