[Samba] Re: SUSE 10.0 and firewall

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Jan 20 10:13:30 GMT 2006

Oygle schrieb:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:11:05 +0100, Robert Schetterer
> <robert at schetterer.org> wrote:
>

>> no the log are in /var/log/firewall and/or in /var/log/messages
>>

> Okay, found both of those, lots of info in the files, but I wouldn't
> know what to look for.  :)
>

>> but a tcpdump -i eth0 will show you better results in realtime
>>

> There was no tcpdump, then I realised it had to be installed, then ran
> it, and tried to browse the 'windows network' and got an error message
> about not being able to find a workgroup, and something about possible
> firewall settings ??
>
> I think I will read up on some of those docs that were mentioned, and
> redo the setup for both the Samba client and server.
>
> What I can't seem to understand is that Firefox has no problems doing
> this:
>
> smb://ipaddress.of.XP.box
>
> and I can see/browse all the shares on the XP box, but ANY sort of
> 'file browser' (Konqueror, Nautilis,etc) cannot 'see' the XP
> workgroup, let alone the shares.
>
> There are no firewall messages on the XP box, when I'm trying to use
> those file browsers from Linux.
>
> As I'm going to set it all up as per those docs, one question .....,
> should I enable or disable "simple file sharing" on the XP computer
> and the Linux computer.  As I'm the only person using both of the
> computers, it seems unecessary to force a login to the XP box (which
> is what happens if I enable simple file sharing on XP).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oygle

Hi

Oygle

simple file sharing is a thing from windows not known to linux, and it
only relates to that  win client where you enable it. ( so it doesnt
matter if you do so ,or not for samba )
samba knows a security level which is named share which is "something"
equal, read the smb faqs to that.
Wins browsing stuff will work fine if  you  let act  samba as wins
server ( there  should be only one in the network )
and give the ip of the wins ( samba server ) to the win client in the
properties of tcp by your windows client nic.
A internal name server ( bind 9 ) is pretty good to have too. ( wich can
dynamicly updated by the client machines ), so this can act as fallback
to wins.
You can easily manage this stuff having a dhcp server on the linux
machine bound to the intranet nic, and tell all windows clients
to use dhcp this makes sure that all machines get the right win server
entry, and the router ip , domainname , name server etc.
All that stuff is written in the samba faq with good examples , or just
buy the book written by Andrew.
for now try this on the explorer of the win client \\ip.of..smb.ser.ver
( for sure you need numbers here ) this should show you shares on the
samba server
anyway. ( just for test )
Best Regards