[Samba] smb connection question

gnuguy at thelink.net gnuguy at thelink.net
Thu Jan 19 19:09:38 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to do something with Samba that appears to be the reverse
of the usual setup I've read about at numerous sites.

I am trying to use the Samba client on a linux (SuSE 10.0)
workstation to access a Windows server with shared network drives.

I can connect to the server fine (my logon & pw are validated o.k.),
both using GUI (Konquerer) and the command line.  I can change
directories and list files.  However, if I want to open or copy a
file (right click->action or drag&drop in Konquerer), I get an error
"can't read file".  If I'm on the command line, I notice my commands
are limited to something akin to ftp.  I can't do 'cat', 'cp', or any
other shell command on the files.

Using a Windows 2000 workstation, I granted my linux workstation full
access to the directory and all within, but I still get the same
error.

Is the only solution to use an nfs mount?  Or should I still be able
to use smb, even though it's backwards of what most people do?  I've
been doing lots of googling and rtfm the last couple of days, but
have not been able to find details of someone doing a setup this way.
If there is a tutorial that I missed, feel free to send it my way.

Thanks,
Charles Mire