[Samba] Samba 3.0.14 - files visible, cannot double-click them from Windows clients

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Jan 19 03:29:49 GMT 2006

> I thought WINS would do it too, but there was no joy. I don't know how
> many times I hit F5.

Ah yes, the old worn-out F5 trick ;-)

> Would these broadcast issues/browsing failures explain all of the
> problems that I described?

I can't say for sure, but most of the problems you're experiencing are
classic broadcast failures.  Some of the more unusual ones (like the
red X on the mapped network drive) I've never heard of, but if Windows
can't find the name of the server I wouldn't be surprised if it assumed
the server was offline and consequently displayed a red X...so I
think if you get broadcasting fixed, it's quite likely to make almost
all these issues go away.

Cheers,
Adam.