[Samba] nmbd and port 135

Jamie Crawford crawford at cmsu1.cmsu.edu
Wed Jan 18 16:40:07 GMT 2006

I have a slight browsing problem.  We seem to have multiple domain
browse lists that aren't being merged at our wins server.  For example,
on 2003DOMAIN, I only see 3 domains/workgroups.  On NT4DOMAINA, I see 3
domains/workgroups, and on NT4DOMAINB I see 56 domains/workgroups, and
on NT4DOMAINC I see 28 domains/workgroups.

According to Microsoft documentation the domain master browser of each
domain should regularly download all the <1b> entries from the wins
server and enter these into its master browse list. If I cat
/var/cache/samba/wins.dat | grep "#1b" I see our 5 domains.  On all the
pdc's of each domain, 4 NT4 and 1 2003, I keep seeing connection
attempts to port 135 of our wins server (Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.5 on RHEL AS 3
U6).  Other than that, each pdc only makes single server queries, or
reregisters itself in wins.  I was wondering if the pdc's need to have
port 135 open on the wins server to be able to upload and download its
domain master browse list to the wins server.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!!!
jamie