[Samba] samba menber of AD domain and ACL support question

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Jan 18 00:05:55 GMT 2006

> I had/have this same problem, so although i can't offer any help i am
> extremely interested in the answer. I ran out of time and ended up
> using share definitions security, instead of ACL's.

Well, I'm not yet using ACLs, so this response only applies to the
basic UNIX permissions.

> I thought like Adam did so i added the parameter "username map" to my
> smb.conf file and modified /etc/samba/smbusers file to look like this:
>
> root    "Domain/administrator"
>
> But it didn't seem to have any effect.

I too tried that when I was configuring Samba and I eventually got this
to work:

  root = DOMAIN\username

When added exactly like that to /etc/samba/username.map and setting
"username map = /etc/samba/username.map" in smb.conf.

I vaguely recall having to use some other method to assign different
permissions too though.  I think I may have had to add the admin user
to Samba's "Domain Admins" group or something like that as well.
Unfortunately I can't exactly recall that now :-(

This is of course only to make a 'superuser' with full access, I can
already adjust the basic UNIX permissions on shares I have full access
to - so I assume I should have access to adjust ACLs as well.
Unfortunately I've yet to find the time to figure out how to make the
ACLs appear in the Windows permissions dialog box...

Cheers,
Adam.