[Samba] Printing from Samba to Authenticated printer on W2K3 in ADS

Edmund C. Greene ed at bc.edu
Tue Jan 17 20:29:37 GMT 2006

Greetings,

    I have a pack of SunRay network computers in kiosk mode and I need
to print to the Pharos printing system.  Not surprisingly, Pharos runs
on Windows.  It is currently set up on Windows 2003 server.  To print to
this system you have to authenticate to the Activate Directory the
Pharos server is a member of.  I thought my best bet to pull this off
was to use Samba.

    The SunRays are running Solaris 10 (sunray's are ultra thin clients
and Solaris is actually running on the server).  I was able to get Samba
to become a member of the domain which allows me to authenticate a user
individually but the smbspool command doesn't seem to pay attention to
the kerberos ticket.  I can't use a generic account as the user is being
charged for printing so each user doing the printing has to be
identified correctly.  Pharos actually supports lpd but then users can
print anonymously defeating the purpose.

    I wanted to create the printer in cups using
smb://server/printername and then authenticate to the domain before
printing and logging out (kdestroy) the log afterwards but smbspool
doesn't seem to pay attention to the logged in session.  Am I correct in
this evaluation?  If I am is there some other way to print?  It seems
like I'm so close to solving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Edmund C. Greene
Systems Integrator
Boston College