[Samba] One SAMBA Server, two networks.

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 01:04:36 GMT 2006

At 01/16/06 08:12, Robert Adkins wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>    I am making some changes to our network to split the front
> office and back office onto two seperate subnets, but need to keep
> the same Samba server in place serving both subnets.
>
>    What I am intending to do is install an additional network card
> into the server and address this new card for the new subnet. What
> I am looking to do is properly broadcast the server's samba
> status/availability across both networks and properly serve
> files/domain controller data across both subnets.
>
>    To do this, I intend to duplicate all the entries in the lmhosts
> file in /etc/samba with the only difference being the network that
> the server is broadcasting on.
>
>    Will this work, or is this more complicated then I am currently seeing?
>--
>
>    Regards,
>    Robert Adkins    IT Manager/Buyer
>    Impel Industries, inc.
>    586-254-5800

I've gotten most of this to work by using the example in Chapt 3 of
the Samba-3 by Example book.  However, I'm stuck on being able to get
access to only some of my shares--for the ones to which I can't
connect, I get a BAD_NETWORK_NAME error.  If you get past this,
please post your solution here.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell