[Samba] Winbind process hangs XDMCP logins on Solaris 8

Renaud Allard renaud at llorien.org
Thu Jan 12 12:57:23 GMT 2006

Hello,

I compiled samba 3.0.21a on Solaris 8.
Everything seems to work fine except winbind.

When winbind runs, I successfully get answers for: getent passwd, group,
wbinfo -u or the like. I can sucessfully log on the server using telnet
and rlogin. The problem arise when I try to log on the server using
remote login from Solaris workstation or reflection-x from windows
clients. I get the graphical login window, I can enter a password, and
then a process called dtgreet takes 100% CPU time, and I don't go
further than the login prompt window. This happens when the winbind
process runs, no matter what is in nsswitch.conf. I have this issue both
with samba being compiled in 32 bits or 64 bits.
When there is no winbind in nsswitch, a "truss -f" of dtgreet doesn't
report it to load nss_winbind.so libraries, but I still cannot log in
graphically. So only the winbind process seems to make the login hang.

Has anyone any idea of what could cause that, or some more tests I could
do to diagnose this.

thanks