[Samba] problem with administrator accounts

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Wed Jan 11 21:53:09 GMT 2006

I have a small domain with a Samba PDB and two Windows clients.  My
goal is to have all accounts held centrally on the Linux box, but the
administrator login doesn't work as an administrator.

That is, I can login just fine as 'administrator' (or as any of the
other accounts in the Samba password db), but I don't get
administrative privileges in Windows.

In smb.conf, I have:

admin users = root
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

In smbusers, I have:

root = administrator

The username mapping appears to occur, but 'administrator' (now
'root') does not receive admin privileges in Windows.  (This leads to
quite a bind, because I can't login as administrator to take the
computer out of the domain and add a local administrator account.)

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University