[Samba]3.0.20b Keep windows local sid when xcopy files to samba server

scot eckel scot_eckel at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 07:50:53 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I came into a problem with the following situation.
One Windows 2k3 server which joined into a AD, and when I tried to copy
some files the owner ship of which contails both domain user/group sid and
local user/group sid information, to samba server, only domain sid
information could be kept, and the windows local user/group sid info was
dropped. I verifyed this by using "xcopy /O /K". When I traced the samba
log, it complained unknown sid, which was the local sid. And since I
configured samba to lookup user and group by the order of passwd and
winbind, AD could not retrieve the non-domain sid info which is only
available in the member client.This seems to be reasonable.

However, I still wish there is some hacks that could help to keep the local
sid info when files are copied to samba server. Any clue is welcome.

Best Regards

Nelson