[Samba] joined to ads, mapped permissions

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Tue Jan 3 14:38:49 GMT 2006

Actually, in the case of disparate usernames between Windows and Unix accounts, that's exactly how it's done (or CAN be done).

At my previous job, I was using Samba+Winbindd to allow Unix share access to Windows/AD accounts; the file specified in the "username map" parameter contained a bunch of entries like this:

# format: unixuser = windowsuser
PUNTR = rlpunt

and my samba parameter looked like this:

username map = /opt/etc/samba/users.map

HTH,
~rlp

>>> Mike Partyka <mpartyka at gmail.com> 12/31/2005 8:17:33 AM >>>
I have joined samba to a 2003 active directory server.

If a samba shared dir is owned by root, how does active directory manage it?

more specifically, how are the permissions mapped? administrator to root?

i have seen reference to a parameter in smb.conf to "username map",
but i don't see reference to it in either of the John Terpstra Samba
books so that can't be the bridge between windows and linux
permisssions.

TIA