[Samba] problem with ldap backend

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:26:11 GMT 2006

Can you confirm that your system recognizes the 'cad' group (which I assume
is in LDAP and not in local /etc/groups)?  Run 'getent group cad'.  What is
the output of this command?  If you get an error, then you need to fix that
first (check your nsswitch.conf, /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/openldap/ldap.conf
files and make sure you can run manual queries against your ldap server).

On 1/2/06, Cornelius Weiss <nelius at von-und-zu-weiss.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with ldap-backend, i can't set permission for shares groupwise.
>
> This is my smb.conf for a share:
>
> [cad]
>   comment = STT CAD
>   path = /home/data/cad
>   readonly = yes
>   browseable = yes
>   valid users = @cad
>   write list = @cad
>   force group = cad
>   create mask = 0664
>   directory mask = 0775
>
> But this isn't working. no user of the group cad can read this share.
> Moreover, it seems that "some" other userser which are not in the cad
> group
> can read this share, but i wasn't able to reproduce this truly. Seems to
> be
> some random generator behind :-)
>
> I really have no idea whats going wrong. Could this be a bug of samba?
> Anybody an idea?
>
> cu
> cornelius
>
> --
> http://von-und-zu-weiss.de
> Phone: +49 2773 745822
> Mobile: +49 160 95302679
> Skype: nelius_weiss
> ICQ: 5227437
> --

"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."
-- ancient Sanskrit saying