[Samba] Wrong user used when mounting with mount.cifs

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed Feb 22 18:56:09 GMT 2006

This may be sorta off topic considering this is probably regarding the
linux kernel but I am hoping someone here will have the answer anyway.

I am having the strangest problem when mounting a samba share with "-t
cifs" as opposed to "-t smbfs" where, instead of mounting as the user I am
logged in as, it is mounted as if I were logged on as a completely
different user.

For example:

me at workstation ~ $ mount

/dev/sda2 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

me at workstation ~ $ ls -l /mnt

drwxr-xr-x   2 me       users  48 Jan 27 06:48 samba

me at workstation ~ $ mount /mnt/samba
Password:

me at workstation ~ $ ls -l /mnt

drwxr-xr-x  27 notme    users   0 Feb 22 08:46 samba

me at workstation ~ $ su -

Password:

workstation ~ # umount /mnt/samba

workstation ~ # mount /mnt/samba
Password:

luthic ~ # ls -l /mnt

drwxr-xr-x  27 notme    users   0 Feb 22 08:46 samba

my fstab reads as such

//server/share /mnt/samba cifs user,noauto,username=user 0 0

If I remove the offending user account (ie. "notme") and remount the
share, I get the UID instead of the username

example:
drwxr-xr-x  27 1002     users   0 Feb 22 08:46 samba

This is my first time using cifs, due to problems, I was going to move off
of smbfs.

Has anyone had any experiences like mine?  It doesn't seam to make any sense?

workstation 411
Linux version 2.6.15-gentoo-r1
mount: mount-2.12r
mount.cifs version: 1.9