[Samba] My Network Places not finding Samba server

Frederick C. Damen fred at damen.org
Wed Feb 22 18:01:46 GMT 2006

Thanks.  I set the WINS server to the ip of the box running smbd/nmbd.
There is no change in browsing from 'My Network Places'.
I tried 'net view \\192.168.0.1\' from the XP 'cmd' window and received
the correct output expected.
I tried 'net view \\DAD\' and 'net view \\DAMEN\' in the XP cmd window
and received:
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

While setting the 'smbcontrol nmbd debug 10' the nmbd.log file logs
[2006/02/22 11:47:49, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(284)
  dump_workgroups()
   dump workgroup on subnet     192.168.0.1: netmask=    255.255.0.0:
        WORKGROUP(2) current master browser = MONEY
        DAMEN(1) current master browser = DAD
                DAD 400c9a03 (Damen Samba Server)
                BABYDRAGON 40011203 (Sue's Computer)
                FREDDYDAMEN 40001003 (Freddy Damen's Computer)
and everything else does not indicate an error has occurred.

Also I tried what I think is the linux equilvant for the net view -> '
smbclient //DAD/'
I receive at the tty
Password:
Domain=[DAD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

and in the messages file
Feb 22 11:53:14 www smbd[2420]: [2006/02/22 11:53:14, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(794)
Feb 22 11:53:14 www smbd[2420]:   dad (192.168.0.1) couldn't find service

I get this response with the workgroup, lmhost name or ip address.

' smbclient -L dad -U%' gives the correct responce expected.

Thanks,

Fred