[Samba] Something special needed for win2003 client to samba 3 server?

Peter Olsson pol at leissner.se
Sun Feb 19 19:29:54 GMT 2006

Hello!

I had a samba 2.2.12 server working fine with mount_smbfs clients
and a windows 2000 client. Not working with windows 2003 client.
I upgraded to samba 3.0.21a, same result. Windows 2003 not working,
other clients working. I just need to be able to connect to my home
share in the samba server, with read/write permission.

This is the error I get in the samba log when trying to connect from
windows 2003 to my home share, with valid user/password combination:

auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(271) check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [xxx] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(317) check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [xxx] -> [xxx] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

smb.conf is default, except for changing workgroup and hosts allow.
Also load printers = no, and tried with passdb backend = tdbsam instead
of default. I have secrets.tdb and smbpasswd in /usr/local/private.
OS on samba server is FreeBSD 5.4.

Anything special needed to get the windows 2003 client working?
I have googled different search strings, and searched Samba-Guide.pdf
and Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf for 2003. Found nothing that seems
interesting. I know close to nothing about windows 2003.

Thanks!

Peter Olsson                    pol at leissner.se