[Samba] Question about policies [OT?]

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Feb 17 08:39:44 GMT 2006

Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using samba 3 as a domain controller. For some XP-pro laptops I
> would like to disable the firewall when they are logged in on our
> network (I don't like it but I have to). Is this possible with Windows
> policies ? If so, does someone know about good reading material about
> policies ? I do have "Mastering Windows XP professional" but that's
> absolutely no help.
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Regards,
> Koenraad Lelong.

Samba 3 doesn't support group policies.

However, you could install for example WPKG - http://wpkg.org - and
execute scripts on your machines as administrator/SYSTEM.
You can set the scripts/programs to execute only once on each
workstation, which would be your case for disabling firewall.

You can disable the builtin firewall on XP with this:

netsh firewall set opmode disable

--
Tomasz Chmielewski