[Samba] configure can't find ldap_initialize on HP-UX 11i

Michael Langas mlangas at midwave.com
Wed Feb 15 20:55:54 GMT 2006

I'm basically using the instructions found in the HP-UX readme with the
exception that I am trying to use the version of openldap that is in
iexpress instead of the one from hpux.cs.utah.edu.

The recommendations listed in the doc are:

HP-UX 11.00 and 11.11:
    OpenLdap 2.1.3  (http://hpux.cs.utah.edu)
    OpenSSL  0.9.7d (http://hpux.cs.utah.edu)

  HP-UX 11.23 only:
ixOpenLdap    A.04.00-2.2.15.003      (http://software.hp.com
<http://software.hp.com/> )

I would prefer to use ixOpenLdap from HP if possible.  The errors I get
from configure are:

configure:32100: checking for ldap_initialize
configure:32157: gcc -o conftest -O -DWITH_SYSLOG
-DGUEST_ACCOUNT=\"smbnull\" -D
_SAMBA_BUILD_ -I/opt/iexpress/openldap/include -D_HPUX_SOURCE
-D_POSIX_SOURCE -D
_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_ALIGNMENT_REQUIRED=1 -D_MAX_ALIGNMENT=4
-DMAX_POSITIVE_LO
CK_OFFSET=0x1ffffffffffLL -DLDAP_DEPRECATED -L/opt/iexpress/openldap/lib
conftes
t.c -lldap  -lsec -lnsl  >&5
ld: Unsatisfied symbol "ldap_initialize" in file /var/tmp//ccAi63yk.o
1 errors.
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:32163: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

As you can see, the include file location is correct, and
ldap_initialize is found in ldap.h so I'm not sure what is causing the
unsatisfied symbol error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ML