[Samba] domain member with LDAP nss

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Feb 14 19:58:40 GMT 2006

I have a domain member server running samba 3.  NSS info currently comes
from ldap, and the PDC is another samba 3 host.  The PDC is also using
the ldap server for its data.

I'm not clear on how winbind is used in this configuration.  When I look
at the owner/group of files from a Windows workstation, I see names of
the form "MYHOST\gmessmer" rather than "MYDOMAIN\gmessmer".  I presume
that this is so because samba can map my domain login
(MYDOMAIN\gmessmer) to the unix user "gmessmer", but can't do the
reverse without winbind.

What is the minimum amount of configuration needed to provide this
reverse mapping?  Do I have to go so far as to replace the NSS source
with winbind?