[Samba] smbclient -L misses some shares when using NULL-Sessions

Tobias Glemser tglemser at tele-consulting.com
Tue Feb 14 14:50:01 GMT 2006

List,

while trying to list all shares in my network using smbclient I
recognized that some shares are missing. ("hostname" is a Win2K Box).

	smbclient -L -U "" -N hostname
shows no shares (using NULL-Session-Logon as you can see)

if I use a windows box to connect to "hostname" using
	net use \\hostname "" /User:""
I can see all shares of this box in the explorer. On samba-based boxes,
smblient seems to retrieve all shares.

But don't blame it only on the Null-Session-Logon, also if I connect to
the box using
	smbclient -L -U "Administrator" -N hostname
I only get the admin-shares.

Is there an option I missed on smbclient to also see the missing share?
And, by the way, is there a way to retrieve the admin shares using NULL
Session Logon like some w$nd0ws based audit tools?

Thanks in advance!

Toby