[Samba] checking password strength issue

Fred Blaise chapeaurouge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:51:51 GMT 2006

Hello all

Using Debian sarge, samba 3.0.14a. Workstation I tested on was Win2000 pro.

I have put the "check password strength" option in smb.conf, using the
crackcheck program that I compiled (was in
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/auth/examples), which uses the cracklib library.

Whenever a user must change its password, samba and crackcheck react as
designed. The log entries in samba are correct, defining why the passwd was
not accepted. (too short, too simplistic, etc..)

The problem comes at the user end. The message the user sees is always the
same, no matter what the problem with the password was. Message is:

"Your password must be at least 5 characters and cannot repeat any of the
previous 0 passwords. Please type a different password. Type a password
which meets these requirements in both text boxes"

Is there a way I can show the right message, or change the message to a
custom one?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Best,